After serving in the First World War and a period buying and selling eggs, chickens and rabbits in addition to running a school bus and taxi service Harry Tuffin became an independent businessman in 1955 when he bought a garage with two petrol pumps in the nearby village of Churchstoke.
He was joined in 1962 by his daughter Ruby and her husband Roy Delves who grew the business and moved to a larger site in Churchstoke building a large supermarket and petrol station. Roy later established the famous Sunday Market and expanded the supermarket to a one stop shop selling everything from taps to turnips!
Their son Paul joined in 1978 and expanded the business further, growing to ten shops in total and becoming a household name in Mid Wales and the Marches. With the stores being based in rural communities it has always been important for us to stock products from the local area and provide a wide range of goods at the best possible prices. In 2012 Roy and Ruby sold the business but one year later Paul bought the Craven Arms supermarket back returning it to the family once again.
In November 2015, we opened a store in Builth Wells, taking over a fuel station and converting the adjoining car showroom into a mini-supermarket. Then in October 2018 we opened another store in Powys, building a brand new 3,000 sq ft convenience store and forecourt in Welshpool.
Now run by the fourth generation of the family, Paul’s sons Phillip and Harry, we are proud to be independent. A lot has changed since 1955 but our values of great customer service, value for money and sourcing products locally remain the same four generations later.